Home Lessons Tab - General Information Common Content Item Settings
Common Content Item Settings
Common Content Item Settings Information
When a content item is added the settings editor displays in tab format. All content items have four common tabs: Content, Access, Assignment, and Actions. The Actions editor tab only displays by selecting the Advanced option. Each tab contains common fields that are used for each content item. There are additional settings on each individual tab that are only available if the Advanced option is selected. NOTE - Some editor options will vary by content item type. Please review the tutorials specific to each content item.
Printable Version: Print out an exact copy of the Common Content Item Settings tutorial. View Demonstration: View a movie of the screens and cursor movement of the Common Content Item Settings tutorial.
1. Log into your ANGEL course and click on the Lessons tab.
2. Click on the Add Content Link. NOTE - The Add Content Link is also found within Folders.
3. You may select from a variety of Content Items. For the purpose of this tutorial, Page has been selected.
Click on a link below to find information concerning the common tabs and the common fields found on each of the tabs:
Content Tab - Normal
1. The Title field value specifies the title of the ANGEL content item. This title will be displayed, as a hyperlink on the Lessons tab, allowing the student to access the item. The Subtitle field allows the instructor to provide additional information about the ANGEL content item such as topics covered, assigned due date, page, chapter or lesson information, and more.
2. The Page Text field is most commonly used to specify the body text of a page. However, this field is also useful on most other ANGEL content items as a way to provide additional information such as displaying lesson objectives at the top of a content folder or providing directions on a quiz or survey.
- The Check Spelling hyperlink provides an easy-to-use tool to check the spelling of the Page Text field. The Spell Checker is discussed in more detail in the Using the Spell Checker tutorial .
- The HTML Editor hyperlink provides an easy-to-use tool to add or edit formatting to the page text. View the tutorials titled Using the HTML Editor to learn more.
Content Tab - Advanced
1. The Icon URL field allows the instructor to specify a web address to a custom image icon to be used in place of the default ANGEL content item icon.
2. The Help URL field allows the instructor to specify an address to a web page, text file, etc. to be used as a help resource for the specific ANGEL content item.
Back to Top
Access Tab - Normal
1. The User Tracking drop-down menu specifies how the system will track access to the content item. Choosing Disabled turns off tracking to the item. Choosing one of the other options specifies whose activity will be tracked for this item. This activity can be viewed using Reports. Please review the specific Reports tutorials.
2. The "Do no allow users to view this item" checkbox hides the content item from users. This option is useful for hiding content items that are “under construction” or for restricting student access to completed lesson items until a future date. Hidden content items remain accessible to course editors but are designated hidden by a partially transparent icon.
3. The Viewable By drop-down menu allows the instructor to restrict access to the ANGEL content item according to the course rights designation assigned to the user.
- A setting of Everyone allows the content item to be accessed by anyone on the World Wide Web regardless of whether they are affiliated with your institution and regardless of whether they have a valid account on the ANGEL system.
- A setting of Authenticated Guests allows any authenticated ANGEL user to access the content item. This includes both users who are on the course roster and those who are not.
- A setting of Students restricts access to the content item only to those users on the course roster who have course rights of Student or higher.
- A setting of Team Leaders restricts access to the content item only to those users on the course roster who have course rights of Team Leader or higher.
- A setting of Course Mentors restricts access to the content item only to those users on the course roster who have course rights of Course Mentor or higher.
- A setting of Course Assistants restricts access to the content item only to those users on the course roster who have course rights of Course Assistant or higher.
- A setting of Course Editors restricts access to the content item only to those users on the course roster who have course rights of Course Editor.
- A setting of Author Only restricts access to the content item only to the original author of the content item
4. The Password field allows the instructor to password protect the ANGEL content item. Upon clicking the title of the content item, the user will be prompted for the correct password before access is granted. Course editors may hold their cursor over the locked icon (located next to the password protected item) to see a reminder of the password.
5. The Team Access drop-down menu allows the instructor to restrict access to the ANGEL content item to a specific team of students as defined under the Management tab. The team must be created before the content item may be restricted. This option is useful for providing unique content to specific students for team projects, multiple versions of a test, remedial or advanced content, etc.
Access Tab - Advanced
1. The Start Date prevents the item from being displayed until the specified date. This can be useful if you want to enter items ahead of time, but you do not want them displayed until a specific date. Selecting an End Date prevents the item from being displayed after the specified date. You might use these settings in conjunction to restrict access to an item to a specific date.
To specify a start date, check the Start Date checkbox and select the appropriate start date and time. To specify an end date, check the End Date checkbox and select the appropriate end date and time.
2. The Editable By drop-down menu is used to specify who may edit access settings. The default setting of Course Editors allows any user with Course Editor rights (in the course) to edit the access settings for the ANGEL content item. A setting of Author Only restricts the ability to edit access settings to the original author of the content item. Object Editable By allows you to define who can change the context of the item. Context is page text, directions, etc.
Back to Top
Assignment Tab - Normal
The Assignment tab provides access to creating Milestones and Gradebook settings for the content item that is being created.
1. The Milestone Settings allows you to add a content item as a milestone without leaving the content area. Milestone settings provide options for the Completion of the item, Assign Date and Due Date. To learn more about Milestones, please review the Milestone Tutorials.
2. The Gradebook Settings section provides an area to associate a content item with the gradebook. Category, Points Possible, Calculation Type, Display Format, and Hidden can be set without moving to the course gradebook. If you do not select something from the Assignment drop-down menu, the content item will not be added to the course gradebook. NOTE - To learn more about the Gradebook, please review the Gradebook tutorials.
Back to Top
Actions Tab - Advanced
1. The Actions tab provides an advanced tool that allows you to define actions to be taken when certain events and conditions occur. For example, an action could be defined to allow a student to gain access to previously locked material (action) after the submission of a quiz (event) only if their quiz grade is 80% or higher (condition). NOTE - To learn more about Actions, please review the Action Editor tutorials.
Back to Top