Discussion Forum Utilities - How to Grade Forums
Grading a discussion forum can be handled via grading directly in the gradebook using one of the forum utilities links. Each posting can be given a rating. (NOTE - It is not necessary to rate each post in order grade the forum.) The purpose of the rating is provide the instructor with a guideline using a standard rubric about how well does the student's post meet the rubric criteria.
||Print out an exact copy of the Discussion Forum Utilities - How to Grade Forums tutorial.
||View a movie of the screens and cursor movement of the Discussion Forum Utilities - How to Grade Forums tutorial.
1. Click the hyperlink name of the discussion forum you wish to grade.
Moderated Discussion Forum
2. Click on the hyperlink Subject name of the post you wish to review. At the bottom of the post, you can place a rating of the post and click save. NOTE - This does not grade the post. It is simply giving you a guideline about the post. If you are only giving a participation grade, you do not need to rate each post.
3. Once all the posts have been given a rating, click the Utilities hyperlink in the upper left toolbar.
4. Click the Grade Forum hyperlink. The grading page will appear. Viewing the total posts, points earned, points possible and percent of points earned assists you in determining the grade for this discussion forum. Place the grade in the Grade textbox. Place any comments in the Comments text area. NOTE - The total points, points earned, points possible, and % points earned are derived from the ratings values. If you are using the forum for participation points and you did not place save any ratings, the values will be zero. You will still be able to enter a grade and comments.
5. Click the Submit Grades button to apply the grades to the gradebook. A column will be created in the Grade book automatically for this discussion forum.